MISSION OF THE CULTURAL FUNDING PROGRAM
The City of Wichita will strive to encourage and provide financial support to arts and cultural organizations that demonstrate and document excellence in quality artistic and cultural programs, professional artistic and administrative staffing, financial stability and their contribution to the community at large. The objective is to provide fiduciary support to exemplary organizations which contribute to the quality of life and add to the economic growth and vitality of our community.
The 2017 Cultural Funding application process is open to all arts and cultural organizations that are 501(c)(3) non-profits that serve the citizens of the City of Wichita and that are not categorized as “Cultural Institutions” that are organizations defined by the Cultural Arts Plan as arts and cultural organizations with operations and activities that are owned and/or operated by the City of Wichita.
- Applicants must be 501 (c)(3) non-profit organizations with a mission statement that contains within its core mission a central art and cultural focus that falls in line with the following definition: “An organization that provides education and artistic leadership to the public through the production, exhibition, advancement or preservation of visual or performing art, literature, film, science, natural or cultural history.”
- Cultural funding grant money funds OPERATIONS only.
- Must have a minimum of five (5) years of operations history.
- Must have full-time professional management and/or cultural/artistic staff.
- Primary purpose of the organization must be to produce or present arts or cultural programs.
- Must present a full season of exhibitions or performances.
- Cultural Funding grants are arranged according to the organization’s annual operating budget.
- Organizations with annual budgets of $500,000 or more
- Organizations with annual budgets of $250,000 to $499,999
- Organizations with annual budgets below $249,999
- Applicants who question their eligibility should request a determination from Cultural Funding Committee prior to February 19, 2016, by calling Division of Arts and Cultural staff to set an appointment at (316) 303-8663.
- The Cultural Funding Committee (CFC) will NOT consider requests for funding above the maximum amount determined for each organization’s tier based on the organization’s PRIOR YEAR ACTUAL EXPENSES AND EXCLUDING IN-KIND SERVICES. Maximum amounts allowed for each tier are as follows:
- For organizations with annual budgets above $500,000 the maximum request allowed is eight percent (8%) or up to $100,000.
- For organizations with annual budgets from $250,000 to $499,999 the maximum request allowed is 15%.
- For organizations with annual budgets from $1 to $249,999 the maximum request allowed is 20%.
- Applicants must be ADA compliant and an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must comply with all applicable requirements of the City of Wichita Revised Non-Discrimination and Equal Employment /Affirmative Action Program Requirements Statement for Contracts or Agreements. Call Division of Arts & Cultural Services staff at (316) 303-8663 for ADA compliance information and resources.
- An eligible organization may submit only one (1) application each year.
- Cultural Funding arts and cultural organizations may also apply for funding through the Developing Arts Program provided they have an annual operating budget that is $50,000 or less per year.
December 18, 2015– Application is posted on website and available to organizations. Visit www.wichitaarts.com (click on “Grants and Services) or www.wichita.gov or pick it up from the Division of Arts and Cultural Services, Century II Administrative Offices, 225 W. Douglas, Wichita, KS 67202
Friday, March 4, 2016– Last date to have staff review draft applications. For information call Division of Arts & Cultural Services staff to schedule date and time.
Friday, March 25, 2016, 5 p.m. – Deadline for FY2017 Cultural Funding Application submission.
March 1 through March 31, 2016 – Applicants will call to reserve a time to answer questions from the CFC.
Friday, April 1, 2016 – Friday, April 8, 2016– Committee members will pick up applications for review.
Tuesday, April 19 and Thursday, April 21, 2016, 1 p.m. – 6 p.m. – Organizations will meet with the Cultural Funding Committee to answer questions regarding their applications.
Tuesday, April 26 and Thursday, April 28, 2016, 1 – 6 p.m. – Committee members meet to deliberate funding recommendations.
Wednesday, May 4, 2016 – Committee finalizes recommendations.
Review of Cultural Funding Grant Application Requirements and Changes
Applicants are encouraged to meet with Division of Arts and Cultural Services staff to review the application requirements and changes from the prior year before the submission of the final grant application. To set a time to meet with Division staff, please call 316-303-8663 or email email@example.com
Submitting the Application
The application deadline is 5:00 p.m., March 25, 2016. All applications must be received by this date and time. Mail or hand-deliver applications to: The Division of Arts and Cultural Services, Century II Administrative Offices, 225 W. Douglas, Wichita, KS 67202
1. Each organization must submit 12 copies of the entire application including all IRS 990 forms (complete; as submitted to the IRS) and other financial materials.
2. Provide 12 complete audit (if applicable*). *Organizations with operating budgets of $500,000 or more are required to submit their most current audit.
3. Do not STAPLE or BIND applications. PLEASE USE BINDER CLIPS ONLY!!
4. Applicants are solely responsible for the completeness of their applications. Incomplete applications will NOT be reviewed. Some information requested in the application may not be available or may not pertain to your organization. If this is the case, please make note where appropriate.
5. Mechanical reproductions of the form are acceptable, provided that the applicant does not reduce or enlarge the original application.
6. Use an Arial, 12-point font or larger and one (1) inch margins. Failure to comply will result in disqualification.
The applications will be reviewed by the CFC, a subcommittee of the Arts Council. All applications will be reviewed and evaluated based solely upon information provided in the application and Q & A Session.
The recommendations of the CFC will be presented to the Mayor, City Council and City Manager for review and consideration upon completion of the review and deliberation process. If the recommendation for funding is approved, individual contracts with organizations will be negotiated by Division of Arts and Cultural Services staff and approved by the City Council for the Fiscal Year 2017 budget year.
Question & Answer Sessions with the Funding Committee
Applicants are required to schedule a time to answer questions from the CFC pertaining to their application. Organizations may call the Division of Arts and Cultural Services between March 1st and March 31, 2016, to schedule a 15 minute block of time to meet with the CFC members to answer any questions the members may have pertaining to the application or organization. Q & A sessions will be held April 19th and April 21st, 2016.
It is the organization’s responsibility to schedule its presentation by calling Division of Arts & Cultural Services staff at (316) 303-8663.
Applicants MAY NOT lobby CFC members prior to, during, or following the application process. No extra materials will be allowed from the organization to hand out to committee members or City staff. Q & A Sessions are open to the public for observation only. No media presentations will be allowed.
Reports and Audits
- Organizations will be required to submit semi-annual and final year-end reports.
- City funding may be audited and organizations may be asked to provide additional financial information related to City funding received at any time.
Download the Cultural Funding Application