Developing Arts Grant Program
Grant awards will not exceed $10,000.
The Developing Arts Grant Program (DAG) provides funding support to small and/or developing cultural groups with annual organizational budgets under $50,000 that create, present or produce year-round cultural activities and arts programs in Wichita, KS at the grassroots level.
The DAG program is a competitive matching challenge grant. Successful applicants are requirement to match the funds received on a one-to-one basis. In-kind donations will qualify for this match.
- Funding for workshops, seminars, conferences and professional consultations including fees, registrations, required support materials and travel.
- Website, social media and marketing development including professional and consultation fees.
- Computer/hardware/software purchases up to $2,000.
- The 2017 Developing Arts Grant application process is open to all arts and cultural organizations which are a 501 (c) (3) non-profit that serve the citizens of the City of Wichita and that are not categorized as “Cultural Institutions” which are defined by the Cultural Arts Plan as arts and cultural organizations with operations and activities that are owned and/or operated by the City of Wichita.
- Organizations that are approved for funding will expend Developing Arts funds in 2017.
- Arts and cultural organizations which have a total operating budget for the last fiscal year that is $50,000 or less are eligible.
- The process is open to arts and cultural organizations with a two (2) year track record of creating, producing or presenting year-round cultural programs and activities.
- The organization must present a full season of exhibitions or performances.
- The primary purpose of the organization (based on mission statement) must be to produce or present arts or cultural programs.
- The organization must have full-time professional and artistic staff.
- 501 (c)(3) non-profit organizations’ mission statements must have within their core mission a central art focus that has the following definition as an art and cultural organization: “An organization that provides education and artistic leadership to the public through the production, exhibition, advancement or preservation of visual or performing art, literature, film, science, natural or cultural history.”
- Applicants who question their eligibility should request a determination from Cultural Funding Committee prior to January 15, 2016 by calling Division of Arts and Cultural staff to set an appointment at (316) 303-8663.
- Applicants must be ADA compliant and an equal opportunity employer and applicants must comply with all applicable requirements of the City of Wichita Revised Non-Discrimination and Equal Employment /Affirmative Action Program Requirements Statement for Contracts or Agreements. Call Division of Arts & Cultural Services staff at (316) 303-8663 for ADA compliance information and resources.
TOOLS and TIPS
- An eligible organization may submit only one application each year.
- Read the ENTIRE application and follow instructions.
December 18, 2015 – Application is posted on website and available to organizations. Visit www.wichitaarts.com or www.wichita.gov (click on “Grants and Services) or call the Division of Arts and Cultural Services, Century II Administrative Offices, 225 W. Douglas, Wichita, KS, 67202, and (316) 303-8663.
Friday, February 19, 2016, 5 p.m. – Deadline for FY2017 Developing Arts Application submission.
Friday, February 26, 2016 – Committee members will pick up Developing Arts applications for review.
Developing Arts Grant Applicant Workshops
ALL applicants for Developing Arts grants are encouraged to contact staff at the Division of Arts and Cultural Services to review changes to the application.
For more information call the Division of Arts & Cultural Services at (316) 303-8663.
Submitting the Application
The application deadline is 5:00 p.m., February 19, 2016. All applications must be received by this date and time. Mail or hand-deliver applications to: The Division of Arts and Cultural Services, Century II Administrative Offices, 225 W. Douglas, Wichita, KS 67202
- Each organization must submit 12 copies of the entire application including all IRS 990 forms (complete public copy; as submitted to the IRS if applicable) and other financial materials.
- Do not STAPLE or BIND applications. PLEASE USE BINDER CLIPS ONLY!!
- Use an Arial, 12-point or larger font, and one (1) inch margins. Failure to comply will result in disqualification.
- Applicants are solely responsible for the completeness of their applications. Incomplete applications will NOT be reviewed. Some information requested in the application may not be available or may not pertain to your organization. If this is the case, please make note where appropriate.
- Mechanical reproductions of the form are acceptable, provided that the applicant does not significantly reduce or enlarge the original application.
Complete applications will be reviewed by a sub-committee of the Cultural Funding Committee (CFC). Recommendations from the sub-committee will be reviewed and final recommendations for funding will be determined by the entire CFC.
The recommendations of the Cultural Funding Committee will be presented to the Mayor, City Council and City Manager for review and consideration. If the recommendation for funding is approved, individual contracts with organizations will be drafted by Division of Art and Cultural Services staff and approved by the City Council for the Fiscal Year 2017 budget year.
Please contact the Division of Arts & Cultural Services staff at (316) 303-8663 if you have questions.
Reports and Audits
- Organizations will be required to submit year-end reports along with receipts to show how the funding was spent.
- City funding may be audited and organizations may be asked to provide additional financial information related to City funding received at any time.